According to Vetron's Guide to Weapons and Armour, the Magic Bow has an effectiveness rating of 12.
Several different kinds of arrows exist by the time of Ultima VII:
- Normal Arrows.
- Magic Arrows, which always hit (and add +4 to the bow's effectiveness rating)
- Burst Arrows, which explode on contact
- Lucky Arrows, which are much stronger
- Tseramed Arrows, which can put Giant Bees to sleep
- Love Arrows, whose function should be clear
In Ultima III, there were two kinds of Magic Bow: the +2 Bow and the +4 Bow, both very strong weapons. From Ultima IV to Ultima VII, there existed only the standard Magic Bow, no other variants were encountered. In Ultima VII Part Two, a special bow was introduced, the Infinity Bow. In Ultima IX, the Siege Bow and the War Bow of Blood appeared.
- At the beginning of Ultima VII Part Two, Shamino's Magic Bow is exchanged for a bear skull. Thankfully, it can be quickly found after the storm is over.
- On Serpent Isle, there also exist Serpent Arrows, which act the same as Burst Arrows.
- In Ultima IX, it is also possible to use Fire Arrows and Mana Arrows.
- Magic Bows are very deadly weapons in earlier Ultima games, and were thus later toned down.